National Girls Lacrosse League Rules
***All players participating on the National Girls Lacrosse League MUST be current members of US Lacrosse.
• 2018 US Lacrosse high school rules will apply to ALL grad years 2022-2026 with the following additions/exceptions:
Each team will have one (1) 60 second timeout per game. It may NOT be used in the last 5 minutes of the second half or in overtime where applicable. Teams that are not ready to restart immediately following the timeout will be called for delay of game with the following penalties:
1. On a draw or when called on the team with the ball: possession awarded to the other team.
2. When called on the team without the ball: play will start immediately whether the defense is ready or not.
2025 and 2026 teams will play MODIFIED CHECKING (Checking the crosse only if the entire crosse is below shoulder level. The check must be in a downward direction and away from the body.) POSITION TO CHECK (Player has an opportunity to legally check the crosse without fouling - 3 second count starts when the official deems that the player with the ball could be checked legally if checking were allowed.)
Teams listed first on the schedule are the “Home” team and will be given first alternating possession when offsetting fouls occur.
Coaches and club directors are permitted on the teams sideline and are subject to same rules as coaches. Only head coaches may address the officials.
• Yellow Card times will be kept on the field by the officials.
• Players receiving a red card in a game may play in the next game, unless decided otherwise by the league director and the head official.
• A purple card will be given to anyone exhibiting unsportsmanlike behavior – such behavior will not be tolerated.
• If a half or game ends on a defensive major foul within the CSA the officials will set up a free position and play will end upon completion of the scoring attempt; passes are permitted as long as they are a continuation of the scoring play.
• If a game ends in a tie in regulation, it gets recorded as a tie.
• A team must have 12-players to start the game. (teams do not need to have a goalie, but 12-players must be dressed to play and the goal may not be modified or moved in such a case).
• Teams may use players from lower age (graduation year) and level (A/B). An “A” level player may not play in a “B” level game even if she is playing up and age group. Roster changes must be communicated to the opposing coach and scorekeeper before the start of the game. Failure to comply will result in a forfeit.
• All games will be postponed during lightning and/or thunder. Games will resume 30 minutes after the last sight of lightning and/or crack of thunder is heard, but they will end 55 minutes after the original scheduled start time.
• A game score will stand at the point it was delayed if at least one complete half has been played.
• Games will be played during rain.
• If a game ends in a tie during playoffs only, the officials will immediately start sudden victory overtime. The first goal that is scored wins. No timeouts will be permitted in overtime.
• Playoff games will follow the same procedure as regular season games.
• Any team that forfeits a game due to lack of players or using an ineligible player will not be eligible for the playoffs. Tie Breaking Procedures for Playoffs : Only in 2022 – 2026 Divisions
**Tie breaks in the standings will be decided in order. If #1 does not decide the tie break, then we move on to #2, etc. until the tie break is decided.
1. Teams will be seeded by their record according to the following formula (percentage):
[(#Wins + 0.5*#Ties)/(#Wins + #Losses + #Ties)]
2. Head to Head Competition (if there is a three way tie in head to head competition, that tiebreaker is thrown out).
3. Goals allowed against in-division opponents
4. Goals differential against in-division opponents (maximum score difference of 10 per game)
5. Goals allowed against all opponents
6. Goals differential against all opponents (maximum score difference of 10 per game)
7. 23 minute tie break game on the first day of the playoffs.